Online micro learning activities on non-pharmaceutical countermeasures in relation to COVID-19
ECDC is now offering a series of micro learning activities related to COVID-19. The e-learning activities are available in the ECDC Virtual Academy (EVA). EVA provides access to training in the domain of Disease Prevention & Control, in order to strengthen capacity of European Union and its Member States.
The short e-learning activities provide guidance on the application of non-pharmaceutical countermeasures and include seven sessions.
1. What are non-pharmaceutical countermeasures for COVID-19?
This micro learning is designed to take 10 minutes, and you will learn about non-pharmaceutical countermeasures for COVID-19.
2. Which are the non-pharmaceutical countermeasures linked to personal protection?
This micro learning is designed to take 40 minutes and you will learn about:
- Personal protective measures: hand hygiene, cough etiquette and minimise the excretion of respiratory droplets (NEW!);
- Personal protective equipment (PPE): respirators, facemasks, goggles, downs and gloves;
- Donning (wear) and doffing (remove) PPE.
- Estimate the necessary amount of PPE.
3. Which are the environmental non-pharmaceutical countermeasures to mitigate the impact of COVID-19?
This micro learning is designed to take 15 minutes you will learn about:
- Evidence of SARS-CoV-2 persistence in surfaces, clothes and objects;
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations for healthcare settings;
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations for non-healthcare settings with presence of COVID-19 positive people;
- Cleaning and disinfecting recommendations for general settings.
4. Physical distancing countermeasures against COVID-19
This micro learning is designed to take 30 minutes and you will learn about:
- Individual physical distancing;
- Physical distancing affecting multiple persons;
- Decision-making and evidence for physical distancing measures;
- When to initiate and end physical distancing measures;
- Considerations when enacting physical distancing measures;
- Maintaining social contact - from a distance.
5. COVID-19 infection prevention and control in the household
This micro learning is designed to take 15 minutes you will learn about instructions to give your patients who are taking care of a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19 in the household.
6. Which are the travel related countermeasures to mitigate the impact of COVID-19?
This micro learning is designed to take 15 minutes and you will learn about:
- international and domestic travel advice;
- entry screening at national borders;
- domestic travel restrictions;
- border closure.
7. Mother-infant health in the context of COVID-19
This micro-learning is designed to take 30 minutes.
The course covers area such as the mode of transmission including vertical transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and the
guiding principles during the COVID-19 pandemic on:
- caring for pregnant women suspected of or with COVID-19.
- the self-isolation of pregnant women and their partners.
- handling the pregnant women during childbirth.
- handling of the mother-baby dyad in the immediate postpartum.
- breastfeeding and infant feeding.
The primary objective of non-pharmaceutical countermeasures is to reduce the impact of an outbreak by reducing the number of contacts that result in disease transmission. This may be achieved through four main countermeasures:
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Environmental Countermeasures
- Physical Distancing Countermeasures
- Travel Related Countermeasures
The micro learning activities provided on the ECDC Virtual Academy are based on two ECDC reports "Guidelines for the use of non-pharmaceutical measures to delay and mitigate the impact of 2019-nCoV" and "Personal protective equipment (PPE) needs in healthcare settings for the care of patients with suspected or confirmed novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)".
Moreover, these materials are build upon the current knowledge on the SARS-CoV-2 and evidence available on other viral respiratory pathogens, mainly the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV), the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and seasonal or pandemic influenza viruses.
Since there are uncertainties concerning the infectious period of the SARS-CoV-2 and its basic reproductive number (R0), these materials should be interpreted with caution.
Guidelines for the implementation of non-pharmaceutical interventions against COVID-19
These ECDC guidelines detail available options for NPI in various epidemiologic scenarios, assess the evidence for their effectiveness and address implementation issues, including potential barriers and facilitators.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) needs in healthcare settings for the care of patients with suspected or confirmed novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
The aim of this document is to support public health preparedness planning with regard to personal protective equipment (PPE) needs in healthcare settings where patients suspected or confirmed to have been infected with the novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV are being treated.
Read more about COVID-19
Preparedness for COVID-19
Find ECDC resources on preparedness and prevention and control measures of COVID-19, such as guidance and technical reports for patient and case management, personal protective equipment, preventive measures.Read more
Questions and answers on COVID-19
What is COVID-19? How easily does it spread? What are the symptoms?Read more