Expert consultation: Dengue and chikungunya preparedness in Europe: priorities and road map
On 14-15 January 2015 an ECDC consultation gathered public health experts, entomologists and epidemiologists from Europe, as well as experts from WHO, CDC and PacNet, to review the EU preparedness to dengue and chikungunya importation and onwards transmission and produce a roadmap towards improved EU preparedness.
In recent years Europe has seen cases of dengue and chikungunya: local transmission of dengue and chikungunya has been identified on occasions across the EU, and an increase of imported chikungunya cases has been observed in a number of EU countries following the recent introduction of the virus in the Caribbean and the Americas, in 2013-14.
Vigilance for the occurrence of imported cases of dengue and chikungunya and possible onwards transmission in EU is needed. An ECDC
Specific objectives of the expert meeting were:
- To review the recent epidemiological situation of dengue and chikungunya worldwide and in the EU;
- To identify good practice, achievements and gaps of the dengue and chikungunya preparedness in the EU and neighbouring countries;
- To identify approaches to improve the dengue and chikungunya preparedness in the EU and neighbouring countries, i.e. disease and vector surveillance, contingency plans, tools for response, communication and useful scientific approaches (modelling, mapping of environmental and climatic determinants, and vector ecology) and communication;
- To propose actions to fill gaps and achieve better preparedness;
- To agree upon a schedule and organisational process of a better dengue and chikungunya preparedness in the EU.
Second meeting of the Emerging and Vector-borne Diseases (EVD) Network
28 Apr 2015 to 29 Apr 2015 - April 2015, ECDC organised the second EVD network meeting, with the participation of the EVD Network, the network coordination committee.
World Health Day - Vector-borne diseases
7 Apr 2014 to 7 Apr 2014 - The topic for the 2014 World Health Day was vector-borne diseases.
Expert consultation on specific case definitions for dengue and chikungunya fever surveillance in the European UnionArchived
8 Jun 2012 to 8 Jun 2012 - The general objective of the expert consultation was to draft a proposal for case definition and case classification of dengue and chikungunya fever suitable for surveillance in continental Europe.