Online resources for prevention and control of COVID-19 in long-term care facilities
Page last updated: 11 April 2022
This page provides links to webpages containing guidance, guidelines, reports, strategies, action plans, training courses and/or research projects regarding COVID-19 in long-term care facilities. This is to aid healthcare professionals, scientists, administrators at long-term care facilities, and public health professionals for preparedness, and prevention and control of COVID-19 in these settings.
These documents were published by ECDC, EU/EEA and other countries, international and national agencies or have co-authors from such institutions.
ECDC welcomes suggestions and further information on existing guidance. Comments can be provided to: email@example.com.
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
- Infection prevention and control and preparedness for COVID-19 in healthcare settings
- Surveillance of COVID-19 in long-term care facilities in the EU/EEA
This guidance document provides a surveillance strategy and testing strategy for COVID-19 in long-term care facilities in the EU/EEA.
World Health Organization (WHO)
- Infection prevention and control guidance for long-term care facilities in the context of COVID-19 (World Health Organization, 2021)
- COVID-19 infection prevention and control: preparedness checklist for long-term care facilities (WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific, 2020)
- COVID-19 infection prevention and control: communication toolkit for long-term care facilities (WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific, 2020)
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Preparedness checklist for nursing homes and other long-term care settings
The impact of COVID-19 on users and providers of Long-Term Care services in Austria (Schmidt AE, Leichsenring K, Staflinger H, Litwin C and Bauer A (LTCcovid.org, International Long-Term Care Policy Network, CPEC-LSE, 13 July 2020)
COVID-19 (coronavirus) – Guidelines for services approved and subsidised by COCOM/COCOF (Iriscare, 2022)
COVID-19 (coronavirus) – Consignes aux services agréés et subventionnés par la COCOM/COCOF (Iriscare, 2022)
Guidance on the prevention of infection with new coronavirus in nursing homes, residential facilities, etc., and in home care, version 4.1 (Danish Health Authority, 2022)
Guidelines and recommendations regarding support from health facilities to facilities for dependent elderly people (The Ministry of Solidarity and Health, 2020)
Prevention and management of COVID-19 in old people's and care facilities and facilities for people with impairments and disabilities (Robert Koch Institute, 2021)
Prevention and Control of COVID-19 in elderly care facilities (National Public Health Organization, 2020)
- Rapid review of public health guidance for residential care facilities in the context of COVID-19 (Health Information and Quality Authority, 2021)
- COVID-19 Interim Public Health, Infection Prevention & Control Guidelines on the Prevention and Management of COVID-19 Cases and Outbreaks in Residential Care Facilities (Health Protection Surveillance Centre, Ireland, 2020)
- Guidance on COVID-19: Approach to risk assessment of visits to private home or similar setting by a resident from a LTRCF, version 1.1 (Health Protection Surveillance Centre, 2021)
- Guidance on COVID-19: admissions, transfers to and discharges from residential care facilities, version 1.2 (Health Protection Surveillance Centre, 2021)
Action guide for people with chronic health conditions and elderly people in a confined situation. Alarm status by COVID-19 (Government of Spain, 2020)
Countries outside the EU/EEA
- Interim guidance: Care of residents in long term care homes during the COVID-19 pandemic (Government of Canada, 2020)