Leptospirosis - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2020
• For 2020, 21 countries reported 565 confirmed cases of leptospirosis, the lowest number in the period from 2016–2020.
• The notification rate was 0.14 confirmed cases per 100 000 population in the EU/EEA, with higher rates in males compared with females.
• There was no obvious long-term trend in the 2016–2020 period.
• The low case numbers of leptospirosis reported for 2020 may be associated with changes in population behaviours and disruptions in surveillance during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Avoiding contact with water contaminated with animal urine, vaccination of animal carriers and rodent control may prevent a significant proportion of leptospirosis cases.
Surveillance and disease data for leptospirosis
Annual epidemiological reports and other surveillance data for leptosirosisRead more