Core competencies in applied infectious disease epidemiology in Europe
The aim of this project was to review and update the core competencies in applied infectious disease epidemiology for mid-career applied epidemiologists, based on previous ECDC work in this area.
A mixed-methods approach was applied to bring together different European partners from the policy, practice and academic sectors. This involved a literature review, as well as a qualitative and quantitative data collection and validation process.The result of this process was the production of a framework, listing 157 competencies grouped into six subject areas:
- Essential methods for applied infectious diseases epidemiology (28 competencies)
- Preparedness, surveillance and response to infectious disease outbreaks (29 competencies)
- Communication and advocacy (25 competencies)
- Practice of infectious disease epidemiology (34 competencies)
- Contextual influences on infectious disease management (21 competencies)
- Leadership and management (20 competencies).
This competency framework can potentially be used for training needs assessments in
- public health institutions
- individual assessments
- writing vacancy notices and professional development planning.
The harmonisation of competencies used in applied epidemiology will facilitate collaboration and the use of a common language among professionals tackling cross-border health threats in Europe.
Online directory with training courses on the prevention and control of antimicrobial resistance and healthcare-associated infections, published by countries and organisationsRead more
Core competency frameworks
ECDC coordinates the development of Core Competencies (also known as competency frameworks) to define the minimum requirements for professionals to perform effectively in relevant fields of our mandate.Read more