Core competencies in applied infectious disease epidemiology in Europe
The aim of this project was to review and update the core competencies in applied infectious disease epidemiology for mid-career applied epidemiologists, based on previous ECDC work in this area.
A mixed-methods approach was applied to bring together different European partners from the policy, practice and academic sectors. This involved a literature review, as well as a qualitative and quantitative data collection and validation process.The result of this process was the production of a framework, listing 157 competencies grouped into six subject areas:
- Essential methods for applied infectious diseases epidemiology (28 competencies)
- Preparedness, surveillance and response to infectious disease outbreaks (29 competencies)
- Communication and advocacy (25 competencies)
- Practice of infectious disease epidemiology (34 competencies)
- Contextual influences on infectious disease management (21 competencies)
- Leadership and management (20 competencies).
This competency framework can potentially be used for training needs assessments in
- public health institutions
- individual assessments
- writing vacancy notices and professional development planning.
The harmonisation of competencies used in applied epidemiology will facilitate collaboration and the use of a common language among professionals tackling cross-border health threats in Europe.