EuroCJD network meeting
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the way forward for the EuroCJD surveillance network.
Conclusions and next steps
The conclusions and way forward of this year EuroCJD network meeting, held in Oslo on the 6-7 June 2013, have been summarized in the three key points below:
1. It is crucial to continue the identification and early notification of all new cases of vCJD in EU/EEA and worldwide, preferably in the frame of all human Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSEs), based on the rationale that:
- The disease has a long incubation period of several years (10-15 median) and stringent control measure in the food chain were implemented at EU level in 1999-2001;
- The ban on use of ruminant-derived proteins in pigs, poultry and fish feeds has been lifted;
- There is evidence of secondary transmission via blood transfusion and possibly blood products;
- Continuous monitoring is necessary to identify new and re-emerging clusters/outbreaks (e.g. atypical BSE, new phenotypes, iatrogenic transmission).
2. Euro CJD Network will continue to provide EU early warning of scientific findings relevant for public health and to ensure preparedness to respond.
3. Euro CJD Network is crucial for gathering and disseminating scientific updates/insights on the following topics:
- New diagnostic techniques and diagnostic algorithms;
- Aetiology of CJD diseases, particularly on the possible association between vCJD/sCJD and with other neurodegenerative diseases.
The above key messages have been presented, discussed and approved by the participants of the meeting and constitute the agreed way forward for the EuroCJD network.
European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology 2018
21 Nov 2018 to 23 Nov 2018 - The European Scientific Conference on Applied Infectious Disease Epidemiology (ESCAIDE) is an annual three-day scientific conference, open to the wider communicable disease surveillance community.
ECDC holds the annual Observership programme for ESCMID, EUCIC and ESCV members
2 Sep 2019 to 6 Sep 2019 - As every year, ECDC organised a week-long programme for observers from the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID), the European Committee on Infection Control (EUCIC) and the European Society for Clinical Virology (ESCV) from 2 to 6 September 2019.