Shiga toxin/verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC/VTEC) infection - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2018
ECDC’s annual surveillance reports provide a wealth of epidemiological data to support decision-making at the national level. They are mainly intended for public health professionals and policymakers involved in disease prevention and control programmes.
- For 2018, 30 EU/EEA countries reported 8 658 confirmed cases of infection with Shigatoxin/verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC/VTEC).
- The overall notification rate was 2.4 cases per 100 000 population.
- After a stable period from 2014 to 2017, the notification rate increased by 41% in 2018.
- The highest notification rates were reported in Denmark, Ireland, Malta, Norway and Sweden.
- The highest rate of confirmed cases was observed in 0–4-year-old children (11.5 cases per 100 000 population).