Rapid assessment of antigenic characterisation capability and capacity for SARS-CoV-2 viruses in EU/EEA laboratories
This is the fifth survey assessing the capacity and needs of laboratories in the EU/EEA, with a focus on antigenic characterisation capability and capacity for SARS-CoV-2 viruses.
- EU/EEA countries and Switzerland have substantial capability and capacity in antigenic characterisation of SARS-CoV-2 viruses across the region.
- Multiple methods for antigenic characterisation of SARS-CoV-2 have been implemented in EU/EEA laboratories.
- Additional EU/EEA countries are in the process of adding antigenic characterisation to their laboratory methods.
- The main bottlenecks in this area are access to method protocols, reagents, BSL3 facilities and training for laboratory personnel.
- ECDC is supporting EU/EEA countries through central laboratory testing activities, as well as information and protocol sharing and upcoming training activities.
See all information on COVID-19, situation updates, risk assessments, questions and answers, latest evidence, surveillance and laboratory guidance and how to protect yourself and others.Read more
SARS-CoV-2 variants dashboard
This dashboard provides an overview of the proportion of variants of concern and variants of interest in EU/EEA Member States together with sequencing volumes and complements the ECDC country overview report.Read more