ISIRV and ECDC influenza epidemiology meeting 16-18 January 2019
The ISIRV (International Society for Influenza and other Respiratory Virus Diseases) Epidemiology Group and ECDC are holding an influenza epidemiology meeting at ECDC in Stockholm 16-18 January 2019.
The meeting is focusing on defining, assessing and monitoring incidence, severity and impact of influenza and other respiratory viruses. This is an interdisciplinary meeting bringing together epidemiologists, clinical researchers, as well as experts in public health, risk analysis, big data and global health. The focus is on severe disease presentations with influenza and other respiratory viral infections. The programme addresses six key topics:
- Linking clinical research and surveillance
- What happens outside the hospital?
- Learning from individual clinical and patient-reported outcomes
- Predicting outcomes on the individual and population level
- Advancing public health surveillance of severity
- Epidemiological methods and challenges in high and low resource settings
This meeting follows the “Incidence, Severity and Impact of Influenza” meeting in Paris in January 2016 and the Epi Panel at Options IX in Chicago in August 2016, which have also aimed at strengthening the cooperation among the global community of influenza epidemiologists. The meeting will result in an improved understanding among public health authorities, clinicians and academic research groups of how influenza severity can be measured.