Direção-Geral da Saúde - EPIET
Description of the institute
The Directorate-General of Health (DGS) is a central service of the Ministry of Health (MoH) responsible for the regulation, guidance and coordination of activities linked to the Public Health Essentials Operations, namely on health promotion, surveillance, prevention and control of diseases. It defines the technical conditions for adequate provision of quality health care and health system. The DGS has responsibilities within Epidemic Intelligence for the early detection, risk assessment, coordination of response and communication of national and international public health emergencies coordinated by the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (CESP).
The Portuguese National Health Service and its well organized public health structures at regional and local level provide enormous opportunities for training.
The EPIET fellow will be mainly at Directorate-General of Health in Lisbon, based at the Epidemiology Unit, with the collaboration of the – CESP and other units from DGS, with the following possible activities, among others:
- Supporting surveillance activities of notifiable communicable diseases;
- Supporting Epidemic Intelligence and event based monitoring activities on early detection and response to outbreaks;
- Collating national reports on notifiable diseases in Portugal;
- Designing and implementing study protocols;
- Analysis and reporting of surveillance data;
- Accessing electronic platforms of real time surveillance for mandatory notifiable diseases and mortality;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the National Vaccination Programme (PNV) as well as other National Priority Programmes linked to communicable diseases, e.g. Tuberculosis, HIV, STI, Hepatitis, AMR/HAI;
- Set up of enhanced surveillance programmes;
- Evaluation of the PH activities, mainly on public health emergencies ; According to a specific training program tailored to personal needs in order to achieve all the EPIET goals, fellows can develop activities at other partners institutions, namely. :
- Instituto Nacional de Saúde Dr. Ricardo Jorge (National Institute of Health Dr. Ricardo Jorge):
- Planning, implementation and/or improvement of laboratory-based surveillance;
- Interpretation of the diagnosis and epidemiological significance of reports from laboratory tests, including molecular tests;
- Evaluation of laboratory-based surveillance
- Regional Health Administrations (ARS):
- Regional and Local Public Health Units and Hospitals for outbreak investigation, local assessment and reporting
Supported by a team of epidemiological facilitators with experience in epidemiology and training (including EPIET alumni), all of them senior staff, the fellow will be fully integrated in the Unit.
Prof. Paulo Nogueira, Direção-Geral de Saúde, Lisboa.
Paula Vasconcelos, Direção-Geral de Saúde, Lisboa
Teresa Fernandes (EPIET alumnus, cohort 6),
Direção-Geral de Saúde, Lisboa
Carlos Carvalho ( EPIET alumnus, cohort 17),
Administração Regional de Saúde do Norte, IP – Departmento de Saúde Pública, Porto
Jorge Machado, Instituto Nacional de Saúde Dr. Ricardo Jorge (INSA)
Good knowledge of Portuguese is a requirement.
Number of fellows trained at the institute: four (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017).
Number of EPIET alumni working at the institute: one.