West Nile virus infection - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2018
This report is based on data for 2018 retrieved from The European Surveillance System (TESSy) on 10 September 2019.
- For 2018, eleven EU/EEA Member States reported 1 605 West Nile virus (WNV) infections, of which 1 548 (96%) were locally acquired.
- The majority of locally acquired cases were reported by Italy, Greece and Romania, representing 39%, 20% and 18% of EU cases respectively.
- The EU notification rate for locally acquired cases was 0.4 cases per 100 000 population, eight times higher than the rate in 2017.
- For 2018, 166 deaths among locally acquired West Nile virus infections were reported, with Greece (n=51), Italy (n=49) and Romania (n=43) accounting for 86% (n=143) of them.
- In 2018, the first case was reported at the end of May and the last case was reported in December.