Leptospirosis - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2018
• For 2018, 25 EU/EEA countries reported 802 confirmed cases of leptospirosis.
• The notification rate was 0.16 confirmed cases per 100 000 population in the EU/EEA.
• There was no obvious long-term trend as the notification rate fluctuated between 0.13 and 0.21 cases per 100 000 population, in the period from 2014–2018.
• Human leptospirosis was more common in adults, and notification rates were higher for males than females in all age groups.
• Leptospirosis cases show a strong seasonality, with higher rates in summer and autumn.