Gonorrhoea - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2018
ECDC’s annual surveillance reports provide a wealth of epidemiological data to support decision-making at the national level. They are mainly intended for public health professionals and policymakers involved in disease prevention and control programmes.
- A total of 100 673 confirmed cases of gonorrhoea were reported by 28 EU/EEA Member States for2018.
- The overall crude notification rate was 26.4 cases per 100 000 population.
- Rates of reported gonorrhoea infection vary considerably across the EU/EEA, with higher rates reportedin northern Europe.
- Men who have sex with men (MSM) accounted for almost half of the reported cases (48%) in 2018.
- The overall notification rate increased by 22% in 2018 compared to the previous year.
All annual epidemiological reports
Gonorrhoea is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae bacteria.Read more