Cryptosporidiosis - Annual Epidemiological Report for 2017
This report is based on data for 2017 retrieved from The European Surveillance System (TESSy) on 11 December 2018. TESSy is a system for the collection, analysis and dissemination of data on communicable diseases.
- For 2017, 21 EU/EEA countries reported 11 449 cryptosporidiosis cases, of which 11 418 were confirmed.
- The notification rate was 3.2 confirmed cases per 100 000 population.
- Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom (UK) accounted for 71% of all confirmed cases, with the United Kingdom alone accounting for 44%.
- Most of the cases were reported in September 2017, following the seasonal pattern of previous years.
- Children aged 0–4 years had the highest notification rate of 12.5 cases per 100 000 population.