11/09/2014 As of 11 September 2014, 37 human cases of West Nile fever have been reported in the EU and 77 cases have been reported in neighbouring countries since the beginning of the 2014 transmission season.
During the past week:
- Greece reported two new probable cases from the already affected prefecture of Rodopi.
- Italy reported seven new confirmed cases from six newly affected provinces, Bologna (2), Cremona, Ferrara, Modena, Reggio nell’Emilia and Verona. In addition, information on recent infection of West Nile in equids, birds, and vectors in Italy is available in the Bollettino epidemiologico WND.
- Romania reported eight new confirmed cases:
- one from the already affected district of Olt;
- seven from six newly affected districts, Bucuresti, Dambovita, Dolj (2), Galati, Giurgiu and Teleorman.
In addition, the Andalusia Ministry of Agriculture in Spain detected on 3 September one horse with West Nile encephalitis in the province of Seville.
In neighbouring countries:
- Russia reported 17 new cases from five newly affected oblasts, Altayskiy Kray (1), Astrakhanskaya (3), Chelyabinskaya (1), Saratovskaya (9) and Volgogradskaya (3).
- Serbia reported 12 new cases:
- 11 from already affected areas (Grad Beograd 5, Juzno-banatski 3, Kolubarski 1, Podunasvski 1, Sremski 1);
- one probable case from the newly affected district of Raski.
In addition, information about West Nile virus infection in horse in Turkey (Bursa province) is available from the OIE.