ECDC 2019 Winter Workshop 1st edition: The science of using science to support policy making for prevention and control of communicable diseases
The overall aim of this ECDC Winter Workshop is to strengthen capacity in the application of scientific principles and concepts to inform and influence policy making decisions related to the prevention and control of communicable diseases among public health specialists in Member States of the European Union (EU) and of the European Economic Area (EEA).
This workshop will bring together country experts to exchange experiences, views and gain skills on how to inform policy makers in relation to detection, preparedness, assessment and control of public health threats with a cross-border dimension at the EU-level in the area of communicable disease prevention and control.
The training course covers four key areas:
- Introduction to the policy process and evidence-informed policy-making.
- How to gather different types of evidence.
- How to appraise the quality of evidence.
- Designing a strategy to enhance and support the use of evidence to inform and influence policymaking in the area of communicable disease prevention and control.
What will participants gain from attending the course?
Upon completion of the Winter Workshop, the participants should be able to:
- Identify research evidence as one of many factors that can influence policy making.
- Identify the interventions to enhance and support the use of research evidence in policy making including communication strategies.
- Describe and interpret the main challenges public health professionals encounter in their Member State to use science to inform policy makers at the national or local level.
- Share examples, from their own experience, of interventions that have effectively informed policy making for detection/assessment, preparedness, response/control or recovery in the field of infectious diseases.
- Design strategies to enhance and support the use of research evidence to inform policy making in their member state integrating communication approaches.
- Prepare a dissemination activity to cascade learning in their institutions or country of origin based on the content of the workshop.
Public health specialists, who as part of their professional responsibility, are informing policy makers in the area of communicable diseases and who commit to engage in some type of knowledge transfer activity in their Member State.
- The course is practical and activity-based, centred on participants’ own experience in the domain of public health policy.
- The ECDC Virtual Academy (EVA) will be used for communication and administrative purposes, as it is a blended training.
- The training is divided into three modules – Module 1 (pre-workshop online package), module 2 (three-day workshop) and module 3 (post-workshop online package).
- Modules 1 and 3 rely solely on EVA and include video presentations, readings and activities.
- A final structured breakout session during module 2 (workshop) will be dedicated to support the participants in developing a dissemination activity to cascade learning in their professional setting.
The participation in this Winter Workshop is by invitation only.
ECDC Virtual Academy (EVA)
An online training platform in the area of disease prevention and control, with open and restricted courses, webinars and video lecturesRead more
Preparedness aims to minimise the risks posed by communicable diseases and mitigate their impact during a public health emergency, regardless of the scale (local, regional, national, European). This requires the capacities and capabilities for effective planning, coordination, early detection, assessment, investigation, response to and communication in public health emergencies.Read more