According to its mandate, ECDC ensures the integrated operation of the network and will be focusing on how to further strengthen the integration of epidemiological and laboratory surveillance and how to develop further the network.
Objectives of the meeting are:
- To present the epidemiological situation of invasive bacterial infections in Europe, 2008 and 2009.
- To discuss and improve the existing disease specific surveillance objectives for invasive meningococcal disease and invasive H. influenzae disease.
- To discuss and revise the existing case definitions in accordance to the disease objectives.
- To discuss the countries experience with using TESSy: data variables: strengths, weaknesses and improvements.
- To discuss the possibility for further development of systematic reports, outputs format and reporting frequency.
- To set up a coordination group for IBD
At the end of the joint expert meeting, the following outcomes are expected:
- Revised disease specific surveillance objectives for MENI and HAEINF if needed
- Revised EU 2008 case definitions for MENI and HAEINF if needed
- Agreement on case definitions, objectives and development of systematic reports, outputs, format and reporting frequency.
- Proposals from MS for improvement of the system, modes of collaboration with the ECDC and identify how to build and maintain the collaboration
- Agreement on approaches for system improvement
- Agreement on development of systematic reports, outputs format and reporting frequency.