The European Programme for Public Health Microbiology Training (EUPHEM) is a fellowship programme, which provides training and practical experience in public health microbiology at associated training sites: the national and regional centres for surveillance and control of communicable diseases in the EU/EEA, as well as in international organisations. The programme is aimed at European microbiologists who want to pursue a career in public health microbiology.
EUPHEM is funded by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and by the institutes hosting the EUPHEM fellow.
The objectives of the programme are:
- Strengthen communicable disease surveillance in the European Union through integrated public health microbiology-field epidemiology networks
- Support outbreak detection, investigation and response nationally and internationally
- Develop a European Network of Public Health Microbiologists
- Develop a response capacity for PHM together with other disciplines inside and beyond
the European Union
- Foster future leaders in PHM in Europe